Legislation & Proclamations
The Pierce County Council considers legislative proposals that fall into two categories:
- Ordinances have the force of law; and
- Resolutions confirm or reject executive appointments, make declarations of policy that do not have the force of law and request information from other county government agencies (see Pierce County Charter, Section 2.55).
Note: Approved ordinances are often codified in the Pierce County Code.
How to Provide Comment on Council Legislation
The County Council encourages comments on pending legislation. You have several options for making your voice heard:
- Comment electronically through the Council's Comment on Legislation option available on each legislative item scheduled.
- Contact the Council with the online comment form.
- Attend a Council or Committee meeting where the proposal is on the agenda as an action item (see Calendar), and speak to the proposal when open for testimony. The Chair will usually limit testimony to 3 minutes per person.
- Provide written comments at the Council or Committee meeting. If possible, bring 10 copies of any written testimony and hand it to the Clerk for the meeting.
- Provide written comments via postal mail or email. See Contact Us bar for postal mail address. To be effective, these comments need to arrive for Council consideration before the final hearing.
- Call your Councilmember.
Tips for effective testimony:
- Give your name for the record
- Reference the Ordinance or Resolution number, and the topic of the proposal
- Be clear about what you support or oppose in the legislation
- Provide an email address on written testimony or on the sign-up sheet outside the Council Chambers if you would like to be notified of any possible future actions on this proposal. You can also sign up for notification of hearings by topic using the Notify Me icon on the left.
A Joint Executive-Council Proclamation is signed by Executive Dammeier and members of the Pierce County Council that is read during a televised council meeting and is presented to a representative in attendance.
If you are requesting a Joint Executive-Council Proclamation a representative will need to be in attendance to accept the proclamation. You will be contacted by Council staff when your proclamation will be read. Please submit your request a minimum of three weeks before your preferred meeting date to allow time for approval on the agenda. Meetings are held on Tuesdays (official council meeting calendar) at 3 p.m. in Council Chambers, located in the County-City Building, 930 Tacoma Ave. S., Room 1046 in Tacoma.
To request a joint proclamation, please complete the joint proclamation request form.
*Proclamations are processed as requested and must be re-requested annually.
If you have questions about the joint proclamation, please contact Tamara Svec via email or (253) 798-7777.