2021 Comprehensive Plan Amendments
2021 Comprehensive Plan AmendmentsThe Pierce County Comprehensive Plan guides the County’s overall strategy for growth and development over the next 20 years. It sets the goals and policies for items such as land use, economic development, housing, transportation, and the environment. Every two years, the County accepts applications for amendments to the Comprehensive Plan. Approved amendments can result in changes to land use and zoning designations and regulations.
Information on ProcessApplications for the 2021 Comprehensive Plan Amendments will be accepted from July 1, 2020 through July 31, 2020.
- Get on the Docket: Prior to July 1, 2020, the "Get Notification" button leads to a form that will put your information on a docket. You will be notified when we will be accepting applications online.
- The online permit system will open on July 1, 2020 and closes on July 31, 2020. Applications must be submitted through PALS online permitting system.
- Application forms for each type of amendment are available by clicking on the buttons to the right.
Types of Amendments
Urban Growth Area/Potential Annexation Area AmendmentA change to the designated Urban Growth Area (UGA) or designated Potential Annexation Area (PAA) of any city or town within Pierce County.
Area-Wide Map AmendmentA change to the Land Use Designations Map. An Area-Wide Map Amendment includes multiple separate properties under various ownerships. Single-parcel or single-ownership map changes may be appropriate only for correcting technical errors or for applications involving one of four types of planned communities.
Text AmendmentA change to the policies or descriptive text of the Comprehensive Plan. Implementation of these policy amendments may result in amendments to development regulations.
Community Plan AmendmentA change to the policies or descriptive text of an adopted community plan included in the Pierce County Comprehensive Plan. Note: Changes to land use designations in a Community Plan area is an Area-Wide Map Amendment. Community Plans that may be amended in the 2021 Comprehensive Plan amendment cycle include:
- Anderson and Ketron Islands
- Browns Point and Dash Point
- Gig Harbor Peninsula
- Key Peninsula
- Upper Nisqually Valley
FeesA total of $3,000.00 fee for each initiated Comprehensive Plan amendment is required:
- A non-refundable submittal fee of $500.00 is required at time of application submission.
- If the County Council approves to initiate the proposed amendment, the remaining $2,500.00 fee shall be required within ten (10) working days after the initiation by the Pierce County Council.