An update on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
These are unprecedented times and I want to check in with you to make sure you have the most helpful and accurate information available for Pierce County residents and your families.
I hope that you are doing well and staying safe and healthy. Governor Inslee’s order called “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” is effective now for two weeks to slow the spread of COVID-19. The order requires the closure of all non-essential businesses. Here is a link to the businesses and industries considered essential. You can click here to read the order itself. If a business or service isn't on that list but think they may be essential, they can click here to get support and have questions answered.
Our County leaders are working closely with the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, the Governor’s Office, the State Department of Health, our federal representatives, healthcare providers, businesses, non-profits, schools, Pierce County’s Emergency Operation Center, and all stakeholders to flatten the curve and to continue to save lives.
Keeping you informed
- PIERCE COUNTY COUNCIL: Here are some ordinances our Pierce County Council has passed related to COVID-19 to help our communities:
Establishment of a loan program for small businesses: Under certain qualifying circumstances, businesses may apply for zero-interest, twelve-month loans at $2,000 per employee, with a total amount per employer not to exceed $10,000. The loan fund will be administered by the Pierce County Economic Development Department.
Pierce County Sewer Customers: An ordinance passed that waives penalties or interest on delinquent sewer payments during the 90-day period from the March 6, 2020 emergency declaration. Additionally, commercial sewer customers will be charged based upon actual usage instead of water usage from the prior year, to reflect the relief restaurants and other businesses may need at this time. This relief may be extended for an additional 90 days upon notice to the Council.
Emergency funding provided $250,000 to food banks and $250,000 to homeless shelters.
- TACOMA-PIERCE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT: Please check daily informative updates from the TPCHD, that is a leader in this health crisis. They are providing daily valuable updates and resources at their website related to COVID-19 to help the public. This includes Frequently Asked Questions, Information for Schools and Childcare, Financial and Mental Health Resources, Information for Human Service Providers, Information for Healthcare Providers, Information for Businesses, Drive-Through Testing Information, and much more.
- BUSINESS COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Our Tacoma-Pierce County Chambers of Commerce is working in partnership with the Economic Development Board to provide as much support as possible to businesses, small and large. Please check out their websites.
- GOVERNOR JAY INSLEE/ WA State updates here.
- CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL updates here.
- PIERCE COUNTY Department and Court updates here.
All this shared information and the constant updates can be overwhelming. If there is information you still need, not provided in this update, please contact me at (253) 798-3308 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. My councilmember assistant, LJ Rohrer and I are here to help.
I am grateful to represent and support the Mighty 6th District and all Pierce County through this time.
Please keep safe and I am confident we will get through this together.